Friday, February 28, 2014

Miracle

1.  I really liked how it was presented, particularly with the hockey scenes.  The movie represented the 1980 olympic Games very well.  I noticed that the filmmakers took Al Michaels calling of the "miracle on Ice" and used his recording and implemented it into the movie.  I thought that was brilliant because many people remember seeing that game live when Al Michaels was calling the game.  It really connects the actual game to the movie.  The movie made me feel proud to be an American.  The United States of America has come through extreme adversity since its independence from Britain.  The 1980 U.S Hockey team was made up of college players and they were going up against professional competition.  It's almost like a college football team going up against an NFL team.  The U.S team always looked like the underdog against their opponents which kind of reminded me of how back in 1776; a group of militia men made up of farmers and workers managed to defeat an entire professional army to gain independence.  

2.  The Miracle on Ice was not just a hockey game.  It was a defining moment for the United States of America.  During the years of the cold war many Americans feared that a potential WWIII could break out if tensions continued to rise.  The U.S had adversities such as the arms race, the Iranian hostage crisis, and many other cold war matters.  The "miracle on Ice" gave Americans something to cheer for and be proud of.  

3.  The only event that comes to mind in my lifetime is 9/11.  I was only in kindergarden but I remember my mom crying in front of the TV.  Since I was so young I didn't really understand what was going on that made people really sad.  However, I could sense that people looked after each other more after 9/11.  I could feel that Americans wanted to help the country get through this hard time.  The impact 9/11 has had on the American conscience still is apparent today.     

No comments:

Post a Comment